Thursday, April 5, 2007

Odds and Ends

I'm coming towards the end of my 5 week locum in Iqaluit. It's been another interesting (and very busy) experience for me. After spending 9 weeks here in the last 3 months I feel like I have a fairly good understanding of how the system here operates. The medicine is very interesting, and very challenging, and Julia and I are seriously considering coming up here for the entire year we are away from Vancouver.

There are a lot of issues here to be solved, many of which I have commented on previously. The challenges can be daunting, but one of the potential benefits of coming here longer term is that there are so many ways to be part of solutions.

I'm looking forward to getting back to spring in Vancouver, and Julia and I will be taking a short trip to Cuba in in April. After that I am up in Inuvik for 4 weeks. It will be interesting to compare the 2 places, and see how they differ.

Overall I'd recommend a locum in Iqaluit to any doctor reading this blog. The work is interesting, and it is a nice and supportive environment. It's definetely like nowhere else I have ever been, and it's a really enjoyable experience!

No comments: