Tuesday, May 8, 2007

All around town...

Since arriving in Inuvik I've been working mostly in the emergency department. So far it's been a nice place to work; the hospital is beautiful, the other doctors and nurses are very nice, and there is good back-up available. I haven't been out and about in the town too much so far, but thought I'd share a few pictures of my visit to the western arctic so far....(as some of you have probably noticed, I'm a bit obsessed with taking pictures).

In Norman Wells I took this shot of me on the bank above the mighty Mackenzie River.


The end of the winter road means no more easy travel.


Spring arrives...


Norman Wells against the backdrop of mountains.


The school in Inuvik.


Inuvik's famous church.


The colourful Inuvik Hospital.

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Great pics! I'm obsessed with pics too so I hope you take more.

medstudentitis said...

The church and hospital are so unique and beautiful!

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

When I clicked on the Inuvit link and saw that it was -6 degrees C I was a little shocked. That's far too cold for this guy. Good pictures though.

Dr. J. said...

Minus 6 is down-right balmy, MSG!! ;o) Way too warm to wear my parka anyways. I find I acclimatize to the weather pretty quickly....unless it's -40.....no one can get used to that..
Dr. J.

Midwife with a Knife said...

That is a neat looking hospital!

Xavier Emmanuelle said...

The hospital looks cheerful. Kind of like how they paint murals in the children's hospitals to help the kids be more comfortable.
MSG: -6 is a pretty good temperature even where I live, and I'm in Ontario!

Lis said...

the hospital reminds me of the recent "makeover" Childrens Hospital Boston had where they painted the front pillars to look like crayons. well, at least i think that's what they were trying to do...anyways i love the photos. the weather you've been having has been making me happy i've left Massachusetts (harsh winters as well) for the more temperate Ireland...even though it rains most of the time. oh, the rain...

Melissa said...

Dr.J.
I'm in Inuvik and am working on Inuvik's 50th anniversary for next year (1958-2008), I was wondering if I could have use of this photo in my presentation?
You can email me at:
mphillipsnw@hotmail.com
Thx.