Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Canadian tradition

In Canada little else is considered as important as playoff hockey. Work slows down, drivers slow down. Radios and TVs are tuned to the game. In a nice resturant somewhere a a man has taken his wife out for dinner. He gets up to use the washroom, and wanders by the kitchen and gets a glimpse of of TV. He's never seen again (well, actually he can be seen nightly sleeping on his couch for the next month). As Canadians we feel we own hockey, and during the playoffs it is all we talk, think and breathe (even the weather takes a back seat).

Everyone has their team. Personally I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. As disappointing as they are year after year, I keep on cheering for them, always thinking that next year will be the year. Like many Canadians, once my team is out of contention I cheer on the remaining Canadian teams patriotically hoping that they bring the Stanley Cup home.

This year my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs turned in an uninspiring season and failed to make the playoffs at all. Since the Leafs had long since abandoned the ice for the golf course, I decided that being a recent transplant to Vancouver, I'd lend my support to the Vancouver side. Yesterday, after some resourceful detective work, my friend Kevin and I managed to get a couple of tickets to game 4 of the Vancouver Anahiem series. Really, there is nothing like live playoff hockey. The crazed fans, the cheering and jeering, the tension in the air as the puck drops. The game was great (although the Canucks lost in overtime), and the crowd was wild. Like so many things, playoff hockey is a tradition best experienced in person...





4 comments:

Xavier Emmanuelle said...

WOOOT SENS!!!
It's a good thing that you're no longer a hardcore Toronto fan, otherwise we'd be rivals.

Dr. J. said...

I would say I am still a hardcore TO fan. Although I've tried to cheer for other teams from time to time, I only truly care about the exploits of the blue and white ;o)

medstudentitis said...

I'm a leafer fan for sure. I can't bring myself to cheer for anyone else, not even when we're in the playoffs. As you know, where I live has quite the leafs/sens rivalry due to our proximity to both locals so I'm always trying to defend my horrible team...

Liana said...

And my beloved Flames succumb in the first round again....

I'm in central Oregon right now and it's impossible to get any decent playoff news here. The bars show darts and bowling instead of hockey. The papers have maybe 20 lines on the NHL hidden away in the back of the sports section... the last one I read announced that Washington was advancing to the next round. Uh... right.

Sigh.