Sunday, May 20, 2007

Now if only they would make me smarter...

If a woman rebels against high heeled shoes, she should take care to do it in a very smart hat.
George Bernard Shaw


Since it was a long weekend, I decided to try something new and make myself some scrub hats. I am tired of the flimsy, disposable blue bouffants at work, and the strange propensity for nasty hair tangles to form beneath them. Plus, what can make a child more at ease before surgery than seeing his anesthesiologist in a colourful and fun scrub hat? Look, dancing monkeys! Enjoy your myringotomy tube insertions!

So after a thorough but low-yield google search on how to sew scrub caps, and a trip to Fabricland, I went from this:


to this:

I definitely have to credit Michelle from the Underwear drawer for her instructions. I free-handed the pattern shown on her webpage to help cut out my material. I also had experiment with the sewing machine seeing as how I hadn't really used it before. This sewing machine was my mother's and is apparently 37 years old. Still works like a dream.


Note: on careful inspection, you may observe a copy of Smith's Anesthesia for Infants and Children, unopened and abandoned on the table. Making scrub caps counts as studying, no?


Here are the others I made:



I am most proud of the rainbow one, which has red piping sewn on using double folded bias tape.

Interestingly, the blue scrub cap has a picture of a cat about to dig into a bottle of "fever candies". I find this a bit questionable. Sure I want children to take their pre-op acetaminophen, but do I want them to think it's a tasty treat? There's also a depiction of a cat and dog shooting through the sky on a syringe. It's possible that while designing the pattern, the creator of this fabric was taking some "fever candies" of his own.

7 comments:

Couz said...

Very cool caps. You'll be the most stylish gasser in the joint! ;-)

Jon said...

Great post! Sweet caps.

Anonymous said...

I love that you just happen to have a fake head to model your caps on!

I didn't know you could sew...you are the only one in the entire family who can sew...hmmm...

NLP

Midwife with a Knife said...

totally awesome caps.

Way more artistic than I'll ever be.

Dr. J. said...

I'd like to try these 'fever candies' you speak of...

M said...

It's great you can saw scrub caps. I envy you! I like the rainbow one, too. It reminded me carp-shaped flags in Japan to celebrate Children's Day in May.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koinobori

My Japanese grandmother can saw Kimono(Japanese traditional dress)and cloths. My mother can saw clothes. I can saw a wound in ER. Obviously, sawing is the endangered skill in my family. I have no clue what my child will be able to saw in future...

medstudentitis said...

I'm planning on making these for my friends before we start clerkship and I was going to use that pattern. Good to see it turned out for you!