Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Things that make you go hmmmm...

Sometimes little conversations can change the way we see the world in little ways. I tend to be a bit chatty when I'm walking around the hospital and drum up conversation where I can. I admit I'd rather talk with an Elder about what it was like to grow up living on the land than talk about a sore throat. Sure, maybe it's thinly veiled work avoidance on my part, but I think it's where I often learn meaningful things about other cultures (and surely, that's useful for talking about future sore throats, with future patients....or so I tell myself).

The other day I saw someone quietly sitting at one of the hospital windows watching the world go by with a great big smile. "Nice day, eh?" I said. He turned and gave me the biggest smile I had all day and said "It's the first time I ever saw trees!", and turned back to his watching of the budding trees swaying in the light breeze.

No moral, no lesson, but it had me smiling for the rest of the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless - and you know that's somthing!
Your MIL

medstudentitis said...

That's awesome.

Xavier Emmanuelle said...

That's wonderful!

OHN said...

Sometimes the most simple things in life really do bring the most pleasure :)

I came to your blog from another one I read and think it is amazing what you are doing. I wish I had done something adventurous when I was young because now my kids have caused me to lose my mind and even if I went on an adventure, I wouldn't realize it :)