Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A walk around Inuvik

Spring has arrived here in the north. The last few days have been beautiful, sunny and warm. I've taken some time to walk around Inuvik while the weather is nice and see the sights. It's a pretty little town and I thought I'd share a few pictures...

Here's the brightly sunlit hallway to emerg. as I left the building around midnight yesterday.


Some sort of berry....I like these macro shots.


A little house on a side street.


The hospital is perched above this lake.


That white blob is a snow goose I believe.
Addendum: Clare (who has some birding expertise) has corrected me on this pic. The blob is a gull. Thanks Clare!)


Ahhh, a canoe hidden in the woods. Could anything be more Canadian!


This pretty little bridge is on a path along the lake.


Outside of the visitors centre sits this plane on a pole. I haven't figured out it's significance yet but I thought it was kind of fun. The propeller spins in the wind....


This is the Inuvik Community Greenhouse. It's a co-op project that turned an old arena into a greenhouse. Now residents have a place to grow their own fresh produce in the summer months.


The Inuvik cross country ski club.


MacKenzie Street....the main drag.


I captured this shot of the sun at the horizon walking back into the hospital around 3AM.


Bud break on a hillside of trees.


Over the next few days I'm travelling to one of the small communities in the area to do some clinics. I'll update the blog with more stories and pics when I return...

7 comments:

Clare said...

The White blob is not a Snow Goose I'm afraid but a gull. Difficult to tell which species but it is likely a Glaucous Gull, judging from the lack of markings on the underwing. There are other possibilities of course, such as Ivory Gull, but Glaucous is most likely.

Dr. J. said...

I bow to your superior bird knowledge :o) I saw some interesting small white birds about the size of southern chickadees when I was out as well, but they were moving about too quickly for a pic....Hopefully I'll get another chance to snap a pic of them!

Way Way Up said...

Those berries might be Saskatoon berries if I'm not mistaken. They look a little to shrivelled up for me to be 100% sure though.

AMC said...

The small white birds are snowbirds or snow buntings. And I think the berries look like rosehips.

medstudentitis said...

That plane thing is cool! Is it a war memorial? Lots of planes on poles are...

Clare said...

The small white birds MAY be Snow Buntings. If they are truly the size of a chickadee then they are too small, and would likely be Redpolls. Larger boldly white and black and they are probably Snow Buntings. Both are "finch like"

Amanda said...

The "berry" looks just like the rose hips we have in Alaska, from wild roses. They make a good tea.