Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Aquariums Galore!

Yesterday I went to the Vancouver aquarium with my brother, sister and nephew. I admit that I am an aquarium nerd and have a salt water tank at home, though it has suffered from neglect of late (don't worry, the fish are very happy swimming in the algae.....happier in fact than in the algae free tank they used to live in when I was spending more time on this hobby). One of the amazing things about the Vancouver aquarium is that it has a great deal of cold water exhibits from local environments here on the west coast. While reefs, are usually associated with the tropics, the cold water reefs of the west coast are colorful and full of interesting marine life....
Here are a few pics I snapped along the way....

A beluga whale....I don't really think these guys should be in captivity, but they are, and here's a picture.


Mmm, it's a jelly (that's a Bob and Doug MacKenzie reference that Canadian readers will hopefully get).


My nephew posing like the aquarium ad (He is a monstrously tall 1 year old in case anyone is wondering).


Cold water fish and anemones.


Another cold water tank.


My aquarium, before it became an algae jungle.

6 comments:

Midwife with a Knife said...

great pics! your nephew looks like a cute kid.

Xavier Emmanuelle said...

What a cute kid!

Rodrigo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Aaron, delete the comment for rodrigo...it's just an ad.

Anonymous said...

I meant 'from', not 'for'.

The MSILF said...

I guess this is a comment about most of the recent posts.

What's your training? Did you do emergency after FP? The addiction post got me curious. Did you do any of the counseling type further training for FPs? Also, you said that you did mostly inner city medicine training - cool that you are doing this rural stuff now.

The McKenzie brothers have made it worldwide, I believe. I've heard of them at least...an ex bf introduced me to the movie.

Interesting about frostbite - there were plenty of cases in New York, homeless people who got stuck in those horrible snowstorms outside. Would be nice to have a nonsurgical treatment.

Those are some beautiful aquarium pictures.


Thanks for the post about burnout. I am starting to feel it myself, and I hate it...resenting some patients, hostility...and again, I think it's not the actual job that does it, but rather the circumstances, employers, and systems we work in.