Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Badlands

Last week Dr. H and I travelled to Calgary for the Canadian anesthesiology conference, and to visit her parents before we head up north. While we were there we decided to take a trip to Alberta's badlands. Not being from the praries I had always assumed that the landscape was rather flat until you got into the foothills of the Rockies. Not so... The Badlands have really interesting geography and are anything but flat. On our day trip we went to the town of Drumheller, the Royal Tyrell Museum (a great dinosaur museum!), and did a driving tour of the Badlands, stopping at several canyons, a suspension bridge, a ferry, and hoodoos. After a long day we headed back to Calgary and experienced a June Alberta snowstorm, out of nowhere 1 km of the highway and surounding fields was covered by 6 inches of snow.
Here are some pics we took along the way...

A view of the western side of the Rockies.


Calgary from the air.


Drumheller is home to "THE WORLD'S LARGEST DINOSAUR!!!", and here's Dr. H on his foot.


I couldn't resist this Godzilla-esque shot...


Wildflowers...


A prairie dog poses for the camera.


Horse-thief Canyon.


Dr. J.


Dr. H.


Some old barns...


The colourful landscape...


The badlands...


Hoodoos...

7 comments:

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

Man, I have to say that I love your pics. They are absolutely beautiful and really make me want to spend some time "up north". Very cool.

Xavier Emmanuelle said...

Cool pics! I love the dinosaur skeletons, and luckily my roommate is a palentologist so I get to see all kinds of wicked stuff that isn't on display yet :)

Elaine said...

Brilliant pics! Thanks so much for sharing them - never been there, so particularly good to see them.

Jean said...

Brought back so many memories - I lived in East Coulee just a few miles from the pic of the hoodoos and back then we climbed that big one in the foreground. Thanks for the wonderful pics!

The Lone Coyote said...

Beautiful country. I look forward to checking it out someday. Thanks for sharing.

Future Doc said...

Brings back great memories, been to Canada three times before and loved every moment. Have been to Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Badlands, Kamloops, Vancouver, Montreal and Halifax. The pictures look amazing and I look forward to seeing them again.

Great post I really enjoyed it!!!

Liana said...

I was out of town this past weekend but next time you pass through, please send me a message! It would be great to catch up with you, Dr. H... memories of physics phun, anyone? (and it'd be nice to meet you too, Dr. J).