Tuesday, July 24, 2007

ᐃᓄᒃᓱᒃ

I can't believe we've been here for only about a week, because it already feels like a month (or two). It's been exciting, scary, fun and, at times, downright bizarre.

Here are just a few of the things I've seen/done/experienced in the last week:

- Worn a jacket and gloves in JULY
- Given a general anesthetic to a pregnant patient in the 3rd trimester for an acute appendix (ack! the pregnant airway)
- Passed the skeleton of a dog, lying next to the road, on my way to work every day
- Intubated and put a central line in a septic patient
- Been swarmed by mosquitos (how is this possible when it's this cold?)
- Eaten a piece of beluga fat
- Treated more STD's than I can count; unfortunately, Nunavut has about 13-20 times the STD rate of the rest of Canada
- Fallen in love with just about every Inuit baby I've seen (these babies are ridiculously adorable)
- Had the best waffle of my life. That's right. You heard me. If there's one thing this town is not lacking, it's delicious waffles.

Here's a picture from a walk Aaron and I took right near our place. There's a little inushuk (the Inuit spelling is more like inuksuk) on the rock at the top of the hill.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I will call you guys soon.

Jon