Friday, July 27, 2007

Walking on the tundra...

The north is usually portrayed as cold, snow-covered, desolate and barren. But while the summer here is short, it is a season full of beauty and life. The tundra, drifted over all winter with snow and ice, turns green and red and purple and yellow. A symphony of colour unleashes itself in a short carpet of wildflowers that covers everything.

Dr. H and I arrived here in Iqaluit almost 2 weeks ago. It's been very busy, interesting, and often fun. We've been working a great deal, but did have time to take a break and go walk among the endless tiny flowers that cover the summer landscape. Here are a few pictures from our walk.

A northern mosquito makes a feast of my finger (the things I'll do for a picture!).


A ship unloads it's supplies in the harbor. Notice there is still ice in the water, and even today I noticed a few lingering pieces. There are no roads into Iqaluit and in general all goods are flown in at great cost. The short summer shipping season offers a chance to bring in goods at much reduces prices. In addition to dry goods, and general supplies, ships bring in vehicles, heavy equipment, fuel, and all the supplies for building any new buildings.


Tiny flowers cover the ground.


Rocks, grass and flowers.


More flowers.


And more flowers.


The row of look-alike houses leading towards our place. Locally these houses are sometimes referred to as 'lego-land'.


Looking out over the landscape...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wnderful pics! More...!
Your MIL

Liana said...

I love the photos. I like your shadow in the last pic.

Ben-Bob said...

Really enjoying your posts and photos from Iqaluit. I've only been as far north as Churchill myself; from what I see I'd love to go further.