Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mawage

Mawage. Mawage is what bwings us togever today. Wuv, true wuv that bwessed awangement, that dweam within a dweam.
-Priest from "Princess Bride"


Today is our first wedding anniversary! We've made it a whole year. I am always in awe of people who have stayed married for 20, 30, even 40 years and beyond. To be able to ride the hills and valleys of marriage, and to adapt and change with your spouse takes patience, work and a good sense of humour. So far, this year has been pretty easy, but I'm sure time will not be so kind to us forever, given the likelihood the future will hold challenges far greater than I can imagine right now. And imagine I do.

What would happen if one of us got sick (and I mean really sick)? What if one of our (future) kids gets really sick? How stressful will it be to raise even a perfectly healthy child? What if one of us was no longer able to work? What if one of our parents requires a great amount of care in the future? How will we change down the road? Will we still like each other in 10 years? Where will we live? What if the whole world ends up flooded by global warming and our house falls into the sea?

It would be an understatement to say that my worries get a bit out of control. I'm sure Aaron would agree- he's heard them all, from the sublime ("Would we go crazy if we won the lottery and had nothing to do anymore?") to the idiotic ("What if my intubating hand gets eaten by a polar bear while we're in the arctic?").

All I know is that I am deeply grateful that we've had one successful year of marriage (and some pretty sweet wedding pictures to go along with it). Some people don't even get that much.



We're also lucky that we can spend this year together in Iqaluit practising medicine. Last year, if you had told me I'd be spending the night before our first wedding anniversary doing a general anesthetic for a stat C-section (on my own!!!), I would have laughed at you. Also, I was too busy worrying about seating arrangements, hairdos and the colour of jam (is it okay if it's light pink? should it be dark pink?). This year is an incredible opportunity to learn together, and from each other. Happy anniversary Aaron, you are a great friend, teacher, and husband. I love you!

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Congratulations Julia & Aaron on your first anniversary!
One year ago we were having a fabulous time celebrating at your wedding.
Hope you're having a great time up north--sorry I didn't get a chance to speak with you before you left. Am enjoying your great blog posts...
Terri

Doc's Girl said...

Congrats!! :) Such a beautiful picture...your dress is gorgeous. :)

I worry a lot, too, but tell the bf that it's my way of preparing for the unexpected. Just like when we got locked out on our balcony--we stayed calm because I knew what to do right away (get someone's attention across the street)! :)

Jean said...

You two love each other and don't
worry about "hiccups" in the future. Congratulations on your very special anniversary.
We just celebrated 42 years in August-my husband is in mid stage Alzheimer's disease - we still love and support each other.
Happiness for your life together.

Jean said...

Forgot to mention I envy your adventure up North and admire your going - esp leaving Van.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that I missed your anniversary!! What a terrible mother/mother-in-law I am! (Just so there's no doubt, I'm Aaron's mom. I'm sure Julia's mom remembered. :) )

You are both so awesome and so awesome together. I'm happy and proud that you're on this adventure. Love you both. xoxoxoxo

Mom(my)