Friday, October 12, 2007

Only in Iqaluit...

Here are two emails I got at work this week, word for word.

Number 1
"Northwestel continues to correct the problem of calls inadvertently reaching numbers other than the one dialed in Iqaluit. In order to complete the work, NWTel needs a 60 minute outage to the Iqaluit phone system beginning this evening at 18:00 EST, Thursday Oct 11, 2007.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Number 2
"Please be advised that Nakashuk School, in Iqaluit, will be closing due to an unusual odor and parents should go pick up their kids.

Thank you."

I love that we live in a place where you can dial a specific number and end up with a totally random stranger on the phone, and that you can get out of school early on a Friday because it smells funny.

2 comments:

towniebastard said...

Well, to be fair it was a disel oil smell. My wife is a teacher at the school and had a splitting headache for the rest of the day that no amount of fresh air or Asprin could knock down. So I can see why they closed the school.

But the phone system is weird. Nor is it the first time its happened. It's about the third time the phones have gone haywire in the last couple of years.

Dr. H. said...

Hmmm...so that's what was going on. Hopefully your wife is feeling much better now.

I mostly found the wording of the email funny. I got a kick out of it. For some reason, I had a different idea of what the "unusual odor" might be.
It made me think about when I used to teach swimming to children, and we'd say, "hey, what's that unusual yellow coloured liquid flowing from the deck into the pool? And why does that small child look like he knows he just did something bad?"