Thursday, January 17, 2008

Time to hit the Beach!

I was back up in Hall Beach this week, doing a community visit. I think this visit was the best of my 3 trips there so far. The clinic ran really smoothly and I got to see quite a few patients in follow-up. The size of the community certainly helps: with only 600 people, there's a good chance I've seen the more complex patients previously. Not only that, I've probably seen several of their relatives as well. If I had some actual free time and giant piece of paper, I could perhaps plot out a chart, and never have to ask anyone for their family history again...


The only downside to this visit was my stay at the hotel. Now let me say that I was very excited to be staying at the hotel this time around (it was full the last time I was there). Mostly I like not having to cook dinner after clinic, because the hotel provides meals for an extra fee.

For those of you who have not travelled in the north, staying at the hotels up here is an "experience". For the low, low price of $199 a night, you too can share a room with a complete stranger (you'd better hope you both like the same tv shows, and that your roommate doesn't snore). Luckily, I haven't had to room share yet, but I've heard some horror stories about random roomies who chain smoke in the room, and come in at all hours of the day and night.

Also included in the $199/night deal is a day in the hotel with no running water. You'd be amazed at how quickly the toilets fill up in a hotel with only 3 occupants. There should be a sign in the bathroom that reads, "Use your one flush wisely."

Despite the showerless joy of staying at the hotel, I really did have a useful and fun trip to the H.B. I wish I had taken more pictures though (the only pictures I managed to take were of some ridiculously large molluscum contagiosum, and of a healing wound post-frostbite).

Instead, here are some pictures I took during my last trip:


A little kamotiq (sled), with an even smaller kamotiq pulled behind it (with what appears to be a figurine of the "Duff Beer" Man sitting beside Sketelor...is that what children play with these days? Where is Dora? Diego? Spiderman? It appears they enjoy the finer things in life, and stay at the better hotels with running water)


An adorable little guy riding a polar bear sled

Speaking of polar bears, I didn't see any, but there was one in town last week who just wouldn't leave, despite much noise making and prompting by the locals. Thus, he met an untimely demise. I wish I'd gotten to see one (through a window maybe...they're not "friendly little creatures"...they kill people).

My trip ended on a surprising note...I ended up coming back to Iqaluit not on my scheduled First Air flight, but on a medevac with a patient who came into the health centre this morning. Thank goodness for pacing pads, and thank goodness for you, Lifepak 12.

2 comments:

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

That hotel sounds *really* fancy! You guys have such amazing stories - it's incredible for me to think about anyone living in the kind of conditions you see regularly. But I'm pampered and a little too warm blooded for -30 degrees C! That's COLD!

Clare said...

You really need to come stay at the B&B... but I digress. I wanted to let you know, in case you weren't aware of it, but you've been nominated for Best Blog in the Nunies.