Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Snack


My first visit to Iqaluit was in January of 2007. One cold morning I walked into the hospital and noticed smoke rising up over top of the 8-story (that's Iqaluit's version of a high rise for casual readers). When I got to the hospital the people seemed in a panic. Had something important caught on fire? You bet, the Snack had burned down. It was a tragedy.
The Snack is an Iqaluit landmark and has greased the arteries of visitors and residents alike for years. Interestingly this wasn't the first time the Snack had burned, as a suspicious fire had claimed a previous edition of the restaurant in the mid-1990's. After last years fire some people were lost, they didn't know where to eat. Business in the hospital cafeteria (which is the finest hospital cafeteria in Canada, by the way) went through the roof.
I'm pleased to say that for the last couple of months the Snack is back!! Once again the 4AM poutine needs of everyone in Iqaluit can be satiated. LDL is up, HDL is down, but people are happy....

7 comments:

Jon said...

:D I like the snack too! Bright, clean, and good food. Wish I had some of their poutine right now.

Jackie said...

What is poutine?

Dr. J. said...

Poutine is a dish of french fries, topped with cheese curds and smothered in gravy.
Gross?
Delicious??
Both????
Dr. J.

Jackie said...

I would say DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Liana said...

Not possible. Sorry, but the Banff Mineral Springs hospital is the best hospital cafeteria in the world.

(maybe we can resolve this issue when I come up there for a locum).

Xavier Emmanuelle said...

I would have to argue that the hospital food at one particular hospital in my city is the best, but I can't tell you where that is! All I can say is it has a salad bar that rivals anywhere else :)

Dr. J. said...

Well, I'll qualify a little I guess. Ours is mainly a meat based cafeteria, though they do have a good salad bar and they will cook special stuff for visiting vegetarians.
But where else can you get an arctic char filet or caribou stew in a cafeteria!!