Wednesday, March 5, 2008
My first visit to Iqaluit was in January of 2007. One cold morning I walked into the hospital and noticed smoke rising up over top of the 8-story (that's Iqaluit's version of a high rise for casual readers). When I got to the hospital the people seemed in a panic. Had something important caught on fire? You bet, the Snack had burned down. It was a tragedy.
The Snack is an Iqaluit landmark and has greased the arteries of visitors and residents alike for years. Interestingly this wasn't the first time the Snack had burned, as a suspicious fire had claimed a previous edition of the restaurant in the mid-1990's. After last years fire some people were lost, they didn't know where to eat. Business in the hospital cafeteria (which is the finest hospital cafeteria in Canada, by the way) went through the roof.
I'm pleased to say that for the last couple of months the Snack is back!! Once again the 4AM poutine needs of everyone in Iqaluit can be satiated. LDL is up, HDL is down, but people are happy....