Sunday, March 30, 2008

Odds and ends on a Sunday afternoon

Music in Iqaluit

Last night was an important musical night for Iqaluit. Nathan Rogers, son of Canadian icon Stan Rogers, played a great concert in the gym at the middle school. He did a great job, playing folk music, doing some eastern throat singing, doing a great mix of his type of throat singing, some local throat singing and beat-box. He finished the show with a version of Northwest Passage partly translated into Inuktitut. It was a great event and the proceeds went towards Alianait! the annual arts festival here in Iqaluit.



Just the stats
Every month or so I take a look at the website stats on google analytics. The site is averaging something like a hundred unique visitors a day. It's interesting to see where these visitors come from. The majority come from links on blogs listed on the sidebar, but a significant number come from other sites, some I'd never visited before. Here's a list of some of the blogs that have sent readers to this blog in the past month, there's some good Sunday reading in there!

A journey beyond the logical mind
Paramed: A paramedics plight
Adventures in good medicine
Future Doc
Temporarily assigned to planet earth
Northern Chirp
Tales from the arctic
X-ray rocks
Nunavut Newbies
Doctors girlfriend
Reflections in the snow
Nunavut nonsense
Not a wanna be, but a gonna be
Kent of the north
Anatomy on the beach
JB on the rocks
Just below 63
Wait time and delayed care
Townie bastard
Jen of Nunavut


Searching for something
In the same vein, it's fun to see what google searches pull up this blog. Most common are searches for the blog name but Adventures in Medicine has also been hit from google searches for "caribou tuburculosis", "anesthesiology scrub hats", and "I've never done that before".


Random facts
I usually read magazines from back to front, strange I know, and the above list is arranged from least referrals to most referrals, don't ask me why...

5 comments:

LeahMae said...

hm... Interesting, I (your sister) read magazines back to front as well. Must be a genetic thing. :) xo

Megan said...

I have a script set up within my RSS reader that allows me to publish links to new posts that I think my readers will like. You probably get several visitors from me on the day you put up a new post, and then none at all until your next entry.

In case it's not obvious, I love your blog.

Ian Furst http://www.waittimes.blogspot.com said...

It's funny because I get one hit from Iqualuit when I link to you. I case wait time isn't such a big deal up there :-) You two have good stories -- Thanks Ian.

tj said...

It must be genetic' I've been doing it all my life. It started with National geog when I was about 6 yr old. I hate to admit it but I often read the last page of a book first to decide if I will read it or not

Erica Feunekes said...

I'm the dot on the big island above Australia on your ClustrMap... Enjoy reading tales of your lives in the great White North as I sit down here in the sweaty tropics wearing a sweater in my A/C'ed bedroom which is kept at a balmy 24 C. I was a high school classmate of Martina...