Friday, July 11, 2008

Beginnings Ends and In-Betweens

The house is packed, the excess stuff given away and I fly out of Iqaluit tomorrow afternoon. It's been a wonderful year here and I've learned many things. I definetely have mixed feelings about leaving. I'll be happy to see Vancouver again and most of all to see Dr. H. (who has been out for a month already), but I'll miss the work here and the small town atmosphere and most of all the people. Being a small town doctor is an old fashioned idea but it is a nice occupation. The fact that you see your patients at the grocery store, at the movies and basically everywhere is, mainly, a nice thing. People seem to get a kick out of seeing their doctor doing non-doctor things (yes we have to go grocery shopping too, and no I didn't buy only healthy food!) I'll be coming back to Iqaluit (and Pangnirtung) regularly over the next year but it will be different to not live here.

There is lots to learn here, medical and otherwise and I think Iqaluit is a great place for young docs to work to enhance their skills. Here are a few important things I learned this year....

1) Everything is not a big deal.
2) Things don't always need to be on time.
3) More choice is not always a good thing.
4) You don't need much stuff to be happy.

(I also learned that people from down south talk way too fast, and that Inuit elders are as tough as anyone I have ever met, and many more lessons along the way.)

When Dr. H. and I first talked about moving north for a year we had mixed feelings about it. In the end our decision came down to this; 'When we look back do we want this to be the year we did something, or the year we did nothing?'. We took a chance and moved north, to both good and bad experiences but most of all to new experiences and ones that enriched us. Hopefully we take some of that wisdom with us into the rest of our lives, wherever that may lead....

14 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Good luck!!

Couz said...

Hey, Dr. J! I didn't realize that you were leaving the north. Are you joining your lovely wife in the big city where it never snows? What's your next big adventure?

Elaine said...

It has been so interesting to read of your lives in Iqualuit. The stories and the photographs (ah yes, these wonderful photographs) of a world of which I had no prior knowledge.

I bet you will both miss it sorely.

Please keep blogging as we would like to know how things go from here.

My Yacht Is Too Big said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Yacht Is Too Big said...

I really enjoyed reading your posts this year. Writing about your experiences the way you both did was really an amazing thing. It was nice to be able to follow along and get a peak into your lives up there. It was wonderful to get to see a way of life that most people will never have a chance to experience.

I hope the people there won't be too sad to see you go. Have a great time back in Vancouver. See you September.

- Jon

Monica said...

Dr. J - I'm sorry to have only found your blog a few days after you left Iqaluit.
Although you will be missed by many of your patients, I do hope to run into you again one day.


Monica, whose daughter you delivered one cold Aurora-filled night back in March 2007.

Resident Anesthesiologist Guy (RAG) said...

It's been interesting reading about the culture and weather way up yonder. I wonder if you'll think Vancouver's really hot after being in such cold temps for so long?

Kiggavik said...

good luck with the move, and do keep blogging. I immensely enjoy your writing on medical issues and perspectives. Pity you didn't make it to Arctic Bay.

Dr. J. said...

I've been in Arctic Bay a few times, but only on medevacs.....brief forays into that beautiful little community...though I once got to fly up the fiord at only a stones throw above the water! I'd love to go for a proper visit sometime though!!

Way Way Up said...

A great blog.....I've enjoyed it greatly'

Midwife with a Knife said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing your arctic adventures with us. What comes next?

Roy A. Hewitt said...

I read that 'the Arctic circle will become an idealic civilization in the future. The ice is starting to melt, people will slowly migrate North. Russia and America will be connected by the Bering Straight tunnel. A civilization of prosperity will develop on the coasts of the Arctic Ocean'.

What do you say?

Groove said...

Do you think a year was the right amount of time? My partner and I are considering going up to Yellowknife for a couple of years for adventure and career advancement, but we're not sure what duration makes the most sense.

goodeda1122 said...

自慰套,真愛密碼,
自慰套,自慰器,充氣娃娃,
性感丁字褲,AV,按摩棒,電動按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,
角色扮演,吊帶襪,丁字褲,飛機杯,
按摩棒,變頻跳蛋,跳蛋,無線跳蛋,G點,
潤滑液,SM,情趣內衣,內衣,性感內衣,
情趣用品,情趣,